DUI & Criminal Cases Charged, Dismissed & Warrants— Bainbridge Island Municipal Court

If you have been charged with a crime by the Bainbridge Island Prosecutor, you should be scheduled to appear in the Bainbridge Island Municipal Court. If you need to quash a warrant originating from a Bainbridge criminal charge, be sure to check with the clerks for the next available calendar. We have included some basic information below.

If you know that must appear in Bainbridge Island Municipal Court, you can find the general Zoom link on our Resources tab (link below). If you are believe you should appear in a different municipal or county courthouse in Kitsap, you can find more links on our Resources. If you need to appear in Poulsbo, you must request the link from the Poulsbo Clerk’s office. If you are one of our clients, we will send a link to you prior to your hearing.

DUI Charged, Dismissed & Re-filed

Occasionally, a criminal charge may be dismissed and “refiled” in Superior Court if it is a felony. In that case, you will appear in Port Orchard in Kitsap County Superior Court. This can happen in cases involving a DUI with an accident. Depending on the seriousness of the injuries, the DUI may no longer remain a gross misdemeanor and will be recharged by the prosecutor as a felony. 

Sometimes, the injuries are not known at the time of the initial charging. When the prosecutor does more investigation, it is discovered that a victim was seriously injured during the DUI and criminal charges will change. 

What If Someone Was Injured While I Was Driving Impaired?

If you were charged with DUI that involved an accident, contact a criminal defense attorney immediately—before Arraignment, if possible. There is a strategic move your attorney may suggest to avoid having the charge moved from a misdemeanor to a felony. It’s very unusual and only an experienced defense lawyer should advise on this option. 

Court is held on Monday and Tuesday. If you are seeking a warrant quash, you should always call to verify that court will be held and that you can be seen on the next available calendar.

As of now, bench warrants can be quashed on the Tuesday 9:00 a.m. calendar and you must contact the court clerk at least one day prior to set that hearing.

What Happens If I Am Sentenced To Jail

Since Bainbridge Island does not have its own jail and contracts with Kitsap County Jail, it is most likely that you will have to go “check in” to jail within a period of time that the judge sets. In rare cases, where there is significant criminal history or an active warrant, a person could be taken into custody.

If you are being investigated or charged with the a crime that originated on Bainbridge Island and want to discuss monitoring the case or other options, contact us for a complimentary consultation. Understanding which office is charging you and where you might appear for court can be confusing.

Ryan and Jen Witt of Witt Law Group, Kitsap County defense and personal injury lawyers

Get help now

Whether you choose to handle your case alone or engage the Witt Law Group, being informed and prepared is essential. Early involvement of an attorney can significantly impact your chances of a fair recovery, allowing you to focus on healing while we handle negotiations with insurance adjusters to secure fair compensation for your injuries.

Share this post