How To Obtain An Ignition Interlock License

How To Obtain An Ignition Interlock License

An Ignition Interlock Driver’s license allows a person who is Suspended in The Second Degree to drive their motor vehicle while they are serving the time of their license suspension. It will prevent a person from picking up another criminal charge for driving on a suspended license. Individuals who have been arrested or convicted of the crime of DUI often have many questions about the Ignition Interlock License, so this tab is hopefully a quick and useful resource to answer those questions. 

For a free consultation call (360) 792-1000.

How to obtain an ignition interlock license

What is Suspended in the Second Degree?

It means that your privilege to drive has been suspended typically due to you being convicted of DUI, Physical Control, Reckless Driving, Vehicular Assault (involving drugs or alcohol) or Vehicular Homicide (involving drugs or alcohol). The great majority of suspensions in the second degree are the result of a DUI charge or conviction.

How to Apply For an Ignition Interlock License

There are only three steps, but many people accomplish the first two steps and neglect to finish the 3rd step. Finish all three steps or you can be arrested again, this time for driving on a suspended license, which is just as serious as the underlying DUI charge.

  1. Install an ignition interlock device in the vehicle that you are going to be driving during your suspension. If you need a referral for an Ignition Interlock provider, call our office.
  2. Call your auto insurance provider and have them add High Risk (or SR-22) to your policy. If they do not offer that kind of coverage, you will need to find a new auto insurance provider. If you need a referral for a new provider, call our office.
  3. Go to any local DOL office and request the Restricted Driver’s License Application (linked below). The cost for the application is $100.

That’s it. They will print you a temporary paper Restricted Driver’s License and mail you the permanent one.

What if I Drive a Work Vehicle?

This requirement for an ignition interlock may be waived for most work vehicles if you:

  1. Get your employer to sign an “Employer Declaration for Ignition Interlock Exemption.”
  2. Send a copy of the signed declaration the Department of Licensing
  3. Carry a copy of the declaration with you whenever you drive a work vehicle that isn’t equipped with an interlock device.

You can not use this exemption if you have a CDL.

We hope this has added some clarity to the extremely confusing instructions regarding how and when to obtain the Restricted Driver’s License.

Please click here to access the Restricted Driver’s License Application

DUI Posts

Drug & Alcohol Evaluations

If you have been ordered to a drug & alcohol evaluation or chemical dependency assessment, be sure to check with your criminal defense attorney about where to go. Not all assessment agencies are great and they can really mess up your criminal case. Witt Law Group Attorney Ryan Witt Attorney Jennifer Witt

Court-ordered Depending on the type of criminal charge you were convicted of or plead to, the court may have ordered you seek an evaluation and file it with probation. This happens frequently when someone is convicted of: DUI Physical Control MIP Assault (where alcohol/drugs was involved) Hit & Run Public Intoxication  There are many other…

Continue Reading
ryan witt and jennifer witt of witt law group

Get help now

Facing a criminal charge or investigation is life-altering and there are often more devastating collateral consequences than just the possibility of being found guilty of a crime. When you delay facing the reality of a criminal charge, you increase the likelihood that those collateral consequences will impact every area of your life–your driving privileges, your job, your family, your professional license, and your freedom. Call today to set up a free consultation. If our firm is not able to take your case, we will do our best to give a good local referral.