If you have had interaction with law enforcement and an investigation is underway, get advice right away!
Every cop, judge, prosecutor and defense attorney would advise their own friends and family to remain silent and talk to a defense lawyer right away. Why? We all know that the criminal justice process is actually unjust to those who are not informed.
So, don’t make the mistake of “I have nothing to hide” and continue the process without legal representation. Approximately 25% of incarcerated people who were exonerated through DNA were actually convicted by their own false confessions or by their statements being twisted against them! Do not be foolish or arrogant to think you stand a chance against members in law enforcement who are formally trained to trick people.
If you are being investigated or have been charged with a crime, contact our office right away so we can discuss the steps you need to take to protect your rights. The following list will help get you going in the right direction:
- Call a private defense attorney. If you are still being investigated or have not yet been arraigned, this is the “sweet spot” for experienced counsel. You will not get any advice from a public defender because they are not assigned until your Arraignment (way too late for the help we’re talking about). This is the period of time when we have been most successful in avoiding a criminal charge for our clients. Even if you have already been charged, sign up with us to get a custom “to do” list that will greatly increase your odds of a positive outcome.
- Know your timelines and deadlines. In DUI cases, there are multiple agencies “coming for you” and, often, it begins even before you have notice. This is very true where clients have an interaction with law enforcement but are then released or driven home. The result of this “gray area” interaction is that we see more warrants and additional criminal charges (DWLS) flowing from failure to know the timelines.
- Get advice on disclosure to employers. Many of our clients hold professional licenses or security clearances. You need to know whether disclosure is required. Frequently, our clients will ask us to write letters or discuss their case with supervisors so they can remain in their position. We can also update your Command, if you are active military. We are always happy to do this because we see more successful outcomes for those who are able to remain financially stable and have limited disruptions in their career.
- Don’t waste time with Public Defense. You cannot get advice from a public defender until your Arraignment. Unfortunately, we are seeing extremely long delays in defendants connecting with their public defense lawyer. The judges are yelling at the defendants but it isn’t really their fault. Every week, defendants will appear in court for the third, fourth, or fifth time with half a year passed and still have not heard from their attorney. This is insane. Stop waiting. The firms handling public defense can’t keep attorneys and the organization is a mess. At the very least, reach out to a private attorney to see if it is something you can handle financially. Our clients are often surprised how flexible we are with them and how much they saved in the long run. We fight hard against convictions, fines, restitution, and anything else that will burden the client later. Not long ago, we had a client who was facing $6,000 in restitution. After our help, the restitution was waived and, even with our legal fee, he was thousands of dollars ahead.
- Overcome the dread. Stop delaying because you are stressed, afraid, or just dreading the process. The sooner you call us, the sooner you can put this behind you. If you read our reviews, you will notice that most of our past clients were also afraid. We will walk you through this and you will return to a normal life sooner than you think!
Give us a call 7 days a week. We understand that serious legal matters cannot always be addressed between 9 to 5 so don’t worry about calling after hours. We take cases in Kitsap and Thurston Counties as well as cities in those areas such as Bremerton, Poulsbo, Port Orchard, Silverdale, Lacey, Tumwater, and Olympia. 360-792-1000